News

Dangerous gastrointestinal infection: child dies from EHEC infection


Two-year-old girl from Bavaria dies of EHEC infection
In a Munich hospital, a two-year-old girl died from an infection with EHEC bacteria. The state of health of the toddler from the Altötting area had previously deteriorated rapidly. The EHEC intestinal germs are mostly ingested through contaminated food.

Severe EHEC epidemic
The EHEC epidemic 2011 made it clear what dramatic consequences an infection with bacteria of the genus Enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) can have. At that time, according to the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), over 3,500 people were sometimes seriously ill. But even in normal times, without an acute outbreak, people keep getting EHEC. In Bavaria, such an infection has now claimed the death toll, according to media reports.

Little girl dies of gastrointestinal infection
A little girl from the district of Altötting (Upper Bavaria) died a few days ago from the consequences of an EHEC infection. According to a report by “heimatzeitung.de”, the germs triggered a rare but extremely severe degree of illness.

The state of health of the two-year-olds had deteriorated rapidly within a few days. The child had therefore been transferred to Munich from the Altötting district clinic. According to the information, it died there on the night of June 1st.

As the report goes on to say, just one day before the two-year-old's death, her sister was brought to the Altötting Clinic and also transferred to Munich with symptoms of a gastrointestinal infection.

According to the health department, her condition is now stable. She could soon be released from the clinic.

Bacteria are mostly ingested through contaminated food
EHEC intestinal germs are mostly ingested through contaminated food. A transmission from person to person is possible via a smear infection, e.g. from hand to hand.

When touching infected animals such as cows, sheep or goats, the bacteria can also get to your hands and from there into your mouth. Children should therefore wash their hands thoroughly after petting animals.

The main symptom of an EHEC infection is watery diarrhea (often bloody diarrhea), usually accompanied by severe cramping abdominal pain, fever, nausea and vomiting.

The various complications can be accompanied by a variety of other symptoms.

In the case of particularly severe courses, the development of a so-called haemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS), including kidney damage, which can extend to kidney failure, is at risk. In the worst case scenario, there is a fatal multi-organ failure.

Because EHEC is extremely contagious, the outbreak is continuously monitored by the responsible health authorities. (ad)

Author and source information



Video: Bacterial infections of the GI tract (January 2022).