News

Carbon monoxide from water pipes poisoned several people in refugee accommodation

Carbon monoxide from water pipes poisoned several people in refugee accommodation


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Several people in refugee accommodation suffer from hookah poisoning
Experts repeatedly warn of the dangers posed by carbon monoxide. The odorless and tasteless gas causes hundreds of deaths in Germany every year. Several people in a refugee shelter now had to find out how dangerous carbon monoxide can be. They poisoned themselves when smoking hookahs.

Health risks from carbon monoxide
Experts repeatedly warn against underestimating the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO). The odorless, tasteless and flammable gas arises, for example, when materials such as wood, coal or gas burn without sufficient oxygen, for example in closed rooms or in the case of defective gas heaters. What is unknown to many: Shisha smoking also poses a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Several people have now experienced this first-hand in a refugee accommodation in North Rhine-Westphalia.

Pure coincidence prevented worse
Apparently pure coincidence prevented worse things: As the dpa news agency reports, several residents of a refugee accommodation in Harsewinkel near Gütersloh (North Rhine-Westphalia) have been poisoned by the fumes of two water pipes in an unventilated room.

According to the information, the symptoms were only recognized because rescue workers who came to the accommodation because of the injuries of another resident's hand had knocked out the measuring devices because of the high concentration of carbon monoxide.

The affected people - four men and three women - were immediately taken to the hospital on Sunday night.

Hundreds of deaths from the odorless gas
Carbon monoxide can cause poisoning, especially in closed rooms and at higher concentrations. Since the chemical compound is odorless, sufferers usually do not notice that they have inhaled the gas.

Poisoning leads to symptoms such as headache, dizziness, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, nausea and loss of consciousness, and even death from suffocation.

Every year hundreds of people in Germany die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Just recently, six young people in Bavaria died of carbon monoxide poisoning. (ad)

Author and source information



Video: The Up To Date Science From Top Climate Experts On How To Stop Climate Change (May 2022).


Comments:

  1. Krisoijn

    I join all of the above. We can talk about this topic. Here, or in the afternoon.

  2. Niyol

    Beauty, especially the first photo

  3. Harford

    Oooo Cool SPS!



Write a message