News

Twelve ampoules: Record level of antidote saves boys' lives after a spider bite


Twelve ampoules of antidote save boys after a spider bite
The news will particularly worry people who are afraid of spiders: a boy in Australia had to be given twelve doses of antidote to save his life after a spider bite. The world's most toxic animals live on the red continent.

Australia is home to numerous dangerous animal species
Taipan, brown snake, blue-ringed octopus, red-backed spider: Australia is home to numerous dangerous creatures, both in water and on land. The red continent is known as the home of the world's most toxic animals. The Sydney funnel web spider can also be dangerous for humans. A little boy who has survived the bite of such a spider can count himself all the happier - thanks to a record amount of antidote.

Twelve cans of antidote
With good luck, a 10-year-old Australian boy has survived the bite of a potentially deadly funnel-web spider, according to media reports. According to an article on the 9news portal, Matthew Mitchell was given the record amount of twelve doses of antidote.

The boy was reportedly bitten by a spider hiding in a shoe when he helped his father clear out the family house shed in a small town north of Sydney.

According to a report in the Daily Telegraph newspaper, the ten-year-old said, "She somehow grabbed my legs and I couldn't shake it off my finger."

His father explained: "The pain spread from the finger to the arm ... but he was conscious all the time."

Bite could have killed an adult
He made his son a kind of pressure bandage out of his t-shirt so that the spider's venom spreads more slowly in the body, and took him to the hospital.

The boy had been shaken by convulsions, but survived thanks to the record amount of antidote he was given.

The animal was reportedly captured and taken to the Australian Reptile Park, where spiders are milked to use poison to make antidote.

"There is no doubt that the bite (without an antidote) would have been fatal," said the father. "A small child is more at risk, but this bite would have killed an adult too."

One of the most poisonous spiders in the world
The funnel-web spider is one of the most poisonous spiders in the world. However, according to media reports, there has been no death from this spider species in Australia since 1979. Last year, however, a 22-year-old person died from a bite from a red-backed spider.

In Germany there are poisonous, but no deadly spiders. The most dangerous in this country are probably nurse-thorn fingers, which are spreading more and more in Berlin and Brandenburg.

It is the only spider species in Central Europe "that is able to penetrate human skin with its jaw claws and inject its poison," the Brandenburg Nature Conservation Association (NABU) writes on its website.

However, people with permanent damage or fatalities are not known. “Victims often compare the pain of the bite to that of a wasp sting. Shortly after, a sharp pain appears at the bite site. Since the affected limbs can swell extremely, a doctor should be consulted under all circumstances, ”the experts advise. (ad)

Author and source information



Video: Spider Bites: Black Widow vs. Brown Recluse (October 2021).