News

Youngsters in Bavaria died of carbon monoxide poisoning - this is how protection works


Again and again deaths from carbon monoxide - adolescents died of smoke poisoning
Now the assumption has been officially confirmed: The six teenagers who were found dead in a garden house near Arnstein (Bavaria) on Sunday have died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Hundreds of people die every year from the odorless gas. Experts explain what you can do for your own safety.

Six adolescents found dead
On Sunday morning five young men and one woman were found lifeless in a garden house near Arnstein in the Lower Franconian district of Main-Spessart. The quickly rushed emergency doctor could only determine the death of the adolescents. It has now been officially confirmed that the teenagers died of smoke poisoning.

Carbon monoxide poisoning confirmed as the cause of death
"According to the current results of the forensic medical examination, the cause of death has now been determined. According to this, the six adolescents died at the age of 18 and 19 from carbon monoxide poisoning, ”said a joint press release by the police headquarters in Lower Franconia and the Würzburg public prosecutor's office.

According to media reports, there was a wood stove in the brick garden house on a remote property, which was quickly linked to the death of the young people. According to police, "the cause of the leakage of the poisonous gas" is "still the subject of criminal investigations".

The lifeless adolescents were discovered by the father of a couple of siblings who wanted to check that he hadn't heard from them since the evening.

Health risks from carbon monoxide
Experts repeatedly warn against underestimating the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO). The odorless, tasteless and flammable gas arises, for example, when materials such as wood, coal or gas burn without sufficient oxygen, for example in closed rooms or in the case of defective gas heaters. Carbon monoxide poisoning from wood pellets is also possible.

The chemical compound can cause poisoning, especially in closed rooms and at higher concentrations. What is unknown to many: Shisha smoking also poses a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Hundreds of deaths from the odorless gas
Because carbon monoxide is odorless, people usually do not notice that they have inhaled the gas. The risk of suffocation is therefore great, especially during sleep. The gas blocks the transport of oxygen in the blood.

Poisoning leads to symptoms such as headache, dizziness, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, nausea and loss of consciousness, and even death from suffocation.

Every year hundreds of people in Germany die from carbon monoxide poisoning. In October, for example, a woman in Langsur (Rhineland-Palatinate) died of such poisoning in her apartment.

How to help poisoned people
The German Red Cross (DRK) explains on its website what can be done for poisoned people and also for their own safety if they release carbon monoxide.

The experts point out to hold your breath. "Handkerchief held in front of the mouth and nose does not protect! It does not filter toxic gases, ”write the experts. You should breathe in fresh air, for example at the window. "A second helper takes care of the safety (rope safety)."

Fresh air should be provided in the room, doors and windows must be opened. If possible, close the “gas source”. The poisoned must be saved in the fresh air. (ad)

Author and source information



Video: I Almost Died From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (September 2021).