After the insect bite, both legs and one arm had to be amputated
Mosquito bites are annoying, but usually not a special health risk. In exceptional cases, however, they can become extremely dangerous. A woman from Cologne had to have both legs and one arm amputated after a mosquito bite. The insect bite apparently caused bacteria to enter the 43-year-old's bloodstream.
Mosquito bite led to blood poisoning
When reporting mosquito bites with consequences, one usually thinks quickly of distant countries and diseases such as malaria or dengue fever. But in this country too, such stings can have life-threatening consequences. According to a media report, a woman in Cologne had to have both legs and one arm amputated. An insect had apparently brought bacteria into the bloodstream of the 43-year-olds through a bite, which led to blood poisoning (sepsis).
Insect bite with dramatic consequences
It was just an insect bite. But that had dramatic consequences for a 43-year-old building cleaner from Cologne.
According to an "Express" report, the woman had brought the garbage out of a house while she was working in mid-March when an insect stabbed her in the arm.
"I noticed a bump immediately. Then I felt dizzy and cold, and I started to have body aches. My colleague called an ambulance, ”she told the newspaper.
Despite the fact that the 43-year-old had vomited and, according to her husband, did not look good, the attending doctor sent the patient back home.
There her condition deteriorated rapidly, so that her husband took her back to the hospital, where she ended up in the intensive care unit. From there she was taken to Cologne University Clinic for further treatment, where she was in a coma for a week.
According to her husband, you could “watch her limbs die. Arms and legs turned black, ”said the 42-year-old according to“ Express ”.
Both legs and one forearm amputated
According to the report, the woman apparently suffered a streptococcal infection from the sting, which led to sepsis (blood poisoning).
"The doctor told me that it could have been a simple mosquito that transported the bacteria," the patient told the "Express".
The doctors could only save the woman's life by amputating both legs and the left forearm.
Streptococci can cause numerous diseases
"Streptococci are typical mucosal parasites," explains the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) on its website. "Certain types are correlated with diseases of the throat, others more with skin, wound or septic infections," it says there.
According to the experts, the bacteria are "transmitted primarily by droplet infection or direct human-to-human contact, rarely by contaminated food and water".
If the body's immune system is unable to fight the pathogen in the event of an infection, numerous illnesses can occur.
These include scarlet fever, middle ear, sinus and tonsillitis as well as pneumonia and meningitis.
A streptococcal infection that is not recognized or treated too late can result in sepsis.
Cologne woman quickly accepted her fate
Just like the Cologne woman. When she came to after the operation and was told that the legs and forearm had been amputated, it was of course a shock to her.
But she quickly came to terms with her fate. "I quickly accepted that and thought: Hey, I survived. I am still here! That built me up, ”the 43-year-old told the“ Express ”.
That is why she went public with her story to sensitize other people in similar situations. "Anyone with strange symptoms should see a doctor immediately," warned the Cologne native.
Protect against mosquito bites
It is therefore certainly helpful to be able to better assign insect bites and bites. Especially for people who suffer from allergies.
In addition, you should protect yourself against bites as much as possible, including with home remedies for mosquitoes, such as essential oils. Or with bug sprays.
At home or in the tent, you can keep insects away through mosquito nets and protect yourself from bites outdoors with bright, skin-covering clothing. (ad)